A Holistic Approach to Daylighting
Examing the economic, environmental, and societal impacts of Lumira® aerogel daylighting. The inclusion of Lumira® in fenestration systems optimizes an architect's ability to design with daylight. Lumira® is an exceptional material that manages heat, diffuses light, reduces sound, and repels moisture.
Visible Light & Diffusion
The most effective light is managed to sufficient levels without glare or solar heat gain, and it gets that light deeper into the building without intensity or harsh shadows. Effective daylighting requires balance. Too much contrast between dark and light, from very bright to very dark shadlows, is uncomfortable on the eyes. The natural light diffusion and glare elimination provided by Lumira® aerogel can replace or supplement artificial lighting, resulting in significant energy and demand savings.
Full Spectrum Light Provides Many Advantages
- A connection to the exterior
- Interior ambiance and occupant comfort
- Improved visual quality
- Positive effects on the immune system
- Increased happiness and productivity
- Lower rate of illness and absenteeism
- Better attention and faster learning rates
- Overall general health and well-being
- Improved quality of life
- Cost savings
Daylighting Design Challenges Met With Aerogel
Daylighting is essential for successful sustainable design. Directing the right amount of natural light into buildings is both an art and a science.
- Reducing and/or eliminating glare
- Illumination level is highly subjective
- Creating diffused quality light
- Minimizing thermal loss
- Reducing solar heat gain
- Preventing convective downdrafts
- Improving resistance to condensation
- Reducing sound transmission
- Being environmentally responsible
"The inclusion of Lumira® aerogel in fenestration systems optimizes an architect's ability to design with daylight. Lumira® aerogel is an exceptional material that manages heat, diffuses light, reduces sound, and repels moisture."
Quality, Diffused Daylighting with Lumira® aerogel-filled Panels